Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Tuesday Triumph - a closer look

In the early morning twilight, Triumph gave us a close look at her wound:


I discussed her with my brother recently and his theory is that she lost her leg as a fawn. The instinct for fawns are to stay still if a threat exists, laying low in the grass and hopefully a predator would pass without seeing them. Sometimes a farmer, while cutting hay, will mow over a fawn causing such an injury or even death.

Another possibility is that she got caught trying to jump a fence and tangled herself in the wire. I've come across something similar on the south fence and the result was unfortunate. No one wants to think of an animal struggling or suffering an amputation but it does happen.

-I apologize for these depressing thoughts.-

Back to Triumph, she has been missing for a few weeks and I have no further information on her adventures at this time. I heard an unsubstantiated rumor (because I told it to myself) that a three-legged deer was traveling in RAGBRAI this year. For my non-Iowan readers - RAGBRAI is the annual mobile booze party across Iowa that shuts down highways and small towns as the bipedal miscreants make their way from west to east across the state.

I don't think of Triumph as a beer drinker, maybe rye...

No comments:

Post a Comment