Sunday, October 3, 2021

Legacy of Wee Sprout

In June of 2020, this Iowa farmer dedicated a sugar (aka hard) maple tree seedling to Poets and Storytellers United. When Rommy correction - Magaly (sorry) commented about this “wee sprout” the name stuck and Wee Sprout became an official Legacy Tree™ on the Stranded Tree Farm.

A legacy tree is planted as a visual representation of those who have significantly impacted us at the farm and go through a rigorous nominating process. Family, friends, and loved ones who have passed on have a tree designated for them. We spend a little more time to fertilize, weed and protect them from the evils of predators like cute fuzzy rabbits that take one bite from each seedling and move on to the next. Sadistic deer enjoy taking their bites as well while the aggressive bucks rub on the younger trees to shed their antlers (nature doesn’t always cooperate with us.)

Wee Sprout - caged, June 2021

Wee Sprout is the only tree dedicated to a group, a community of free writers, poets, and maybe a few lyricists in the corner, all of us sharing our words. I thought the idea of a living symbol, growing along with the community, might one day shade a gathering of the members.

Wee Sprout - free, June 2021

One day perhaps, but not soon. Wee Sprout is still quite small but has grown twice as much as one planted to the west. I can’t explain how one tree grows so well while others of the same species planted nearby lag behind. Maybe the worldwide good thoughts boosted its morale but it could have been the extra fertilizer last winter. It’s a mystery…

To the east is a 30-foot black walnut producing a quantity of nuts this year and to the west is the sugar maple planted at the same time. Its northern neighbor is a Kentucky coffeetree and to the south is a black cherry and a hickory. Further away are more walnut, red maples, white and black oaks, ash and elm trees. A growing variety of native trees.

Wee Sprout is in good company and more trees will follow as we continue to reforest a small acreage in Iowa where no tree grows alone.

Posted to Poets and Storytellers United - Writers’ Pantry #90: Why Do You Write and Share?

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift to Iowa, and what a wonderful assortment of trees. My mother loved black walnuts, but I seem to recall they were a real challenge to pick the meat! A walk in your personal forest must be balm for the soul, Joel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each time I walk, I find something new. Sometimes more work is found ;)
      I'm glad this brought up a memory of your mother, Beverly. We will be cracking walnuts in the winter for next year's farmers markets if there are any left after snacking, of course.

      Delete
  2. Go, Wee Sprout, go!!! May Wee Sprout be big and strong and endure through the centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A true test of a legacy tree is when seeds are formed for the next generation. It will be a few years for this maple.
      Thanks for stopping by, Lester.

      Delete
  3. It's sooo good to see Wee Sprout doing so well. Look at those luscious leaves! I remember the joy this wonderful little tree brought to me and many others, when you announced it to our group. I'm choosing to believe that those feelings--and your love and care--is what's making Wee Sprout such a lovely specimen. May we always find inspiration and peace under its shade.

    P.S. I was the one first called Wee Sprout by its name. But I'm sure Rommy was probably thinking it. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Aaaaaaarrrrrrgh" (in a Charlie Brown voice in my head)

      My apologies, Magaly. Please forgive me. My failure in memory and lack of double-checking is inexcusable. I'll attempt to make amends shortly.

      Delete
    2. Is it horrible to say that I am glad you forgot to check? I mean, how else would be able to tell anyone who might listen that there is a Magaly's Maple growing in the world!

      Thank you, Joel. This has made my day. No... it made my year!

      Delete
    3. Then I'm glad to have done this. You're welcome.

      Delete
  4. It's lovely to get news of Wee Sprout, and such good news too. And it's great that it receives extra fertiliser, both physical and spiritual/emotional.

    I especially love that, on your acreage, 'no tree grows alone'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reminded of all of you every time I walk past it.

      This is our motto/slogan for the project we are working on. Kind of opposite of a stranded tree ;)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of legacy trees!! I have a couple of these wee sprouts myself. "No tree grows alone." Love love love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have about a dozen of legacy trees so far and I'm working on plans so that the public designate a tree as well. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  6. Lovely. As always, I appreciate your posts, art, and updates, as they brighten my day. Take care, Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for Wee Sprout! Long may it live! (And may the deer find something else to occupy their time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the deer get too preoccupied I end up with little fawns in the spring. ;)
      Thanks for stopping by Rommy

      Delete
  8. Wee sprout - awe. It is amazing how fast trees grow!

    ReplyDelete