Sunday, September 26, 2021

My sky was blue

It was my sky that day. I claimed it as my own in all its deep blue horizons.

I could not see a single cloud in the sky this past Saturday while picking corn. An occasional streak of a jet interrupted the clear blue but those dissipated soon. Maybe the hand of God wiped away each line as an abomination against the heavens.

The winds from the northwest did not have a hint of an autumn breeze as the sun warmed the hills and the rows of corn that I wanted to finish that day. It rustled the dry stalks and blew the husks into the fence as I picked and shucked the ears. She carried the sounds of the birds away to the south where my feathered residents are headed now and I look towards March next year for their return.

But the sky…


If I could have shared my sky, I would have. A visitor to appreciate the blue (or lend a hand in the work) or a conversation that the wind could not interrupt. I was the only person there and from mid-morning, when I first realized the sky, until I packed up in the evening, not a single cloud drifted by.

But I did share the sky with the turkey vultures that were lifted high, circling together before heading southward as well. I told them, “Not today,” as I always do when I see them. Someday they may find me as a meal but not that day.

I will share a sight from the cabin. The cottonwoods that shaded the roof through the summer are losing their leaves now and soon their skeletons will remain during winter’s cold with only the white pines and the cedars as my companions there.

But for one day, my sky was blue.


 Posted at Poets and Storytellers United: Writer's Pantry #89: Ghost Walk

18 comments:

  1. Ah, Joel, it's good to see I'm not the only one who enjoys the cloudless cobalt of an autumn sky..so clear and uncluttered ..a gift so often going unnoticed. You have such a farmer's heart. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an honor that you think so, Beverly. I wonder sometimes.

      I think your description is better: "the cloudless cobalt of an autumn sky" - I like that

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful piece. I could almost taste the crisp in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naledi. I hoped that I could draw the reader in.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed, Margaret, thank you. If I bring a reader along, then I won't be so alone?
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Rosemary. One word to make my day!

      Delete
  5. From your point of view .... so lovely. So blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't live without blue.
      Thanks for stopping by and offering your kind words, Helen.

      Delete
  6. "But the sky…" has so many moods but I love this clear, blue sky best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While working, it was as if someone was redirecting my attention with those words.
      Thanks, Debi. I need the blue sky most of all.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing this idyllic day with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I couldn't share the work! Ha! (In reality, when visitors show up, I get no work done)
      At least once a week something new is discovered, Rommy.
      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  8. I love your homage to the clear blue sky, although I have to admit that I tire of such skies in the summer here in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Beverly's description of "cobalt blue" that fit on that day. Each of us have beauty in the skies above, the hills, the life that surrounds us...
      You've shared the beauty of the desert often and is welcomed to see and read.
      Thanks, MMT. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  9. This is beautifully soothing, Joel. I love the mood, the images, the way your tone and descriptions invite us to share the blue sky with you. Such a treat to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind words mean a lot to me right now. Thank you, Magaly.

      Delete