Sunday, September 5, 2021

Labor Day 2021

We have a tradition in my family on how we celebrate Labor Day: Work.

This is the time of year for harvesting and the harvest doesn’t give a whit about the day on the calendar. Our cash crops of popcorn and aronia berries are in full swing now that the earth is nearing the equinox. I could leave the corn on the stalks for a while longer but the last windstorm knocked over many and if I don’t get those ears soon, I could lose them. The aronias are ready now and soon will be dropping to the ground.

After the successful Battle of the Beetles™ our crop came on strong this year and I predict this will be our best year:

I spent this Sunday picking in the sun and removing stems while in the shade of the cottonwood trees at the cabin. Serenaded by crickets in the grass and cicadas in the walnut trees with an occasional catbird calling from the creek to the east. Gravity was to blame for many berries that fell victim to its law and didn’t make it to my pail.

I resisted the temptation of reading the news during a break – the modern world needed to stay away as I picked by hand. I didn’t want to interrupt the peace of the gentile breeze from the Northwest hinting that fall will soon arrive in force with winter right behind. My hands were stained purple from the juice as the aroma of the berries wafted away with the wind as I picked. I also resisted nibbling as these berries have a taste of the tart apple when eaten raw. It’s best to use them in cookies or muffins as a substitute for raisins or blueberries. Mixing up a drink with other fruit works well, too.

Oh, and I need these for the homemade wine.

At close of day, on this Labor Day’s Eve, I’m only about a third of the way through the berries and I still have to pick corn.

So, Labor Day with be honored with labor – as it has always been on the farm.

 

Linked to Poets and Storytellers United, Writers' Pantry 86: Pet Training

12 comments:

  1. May you enjoy your labour, and the fruits thereof! It must be hard work, but you do make it sound sweet and peaceful. (Good idea to keep the news away awhile.)

    The things I learn from you! There is a special kind of corn for popcorn? There is a kind of berry called aronia? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rosemary!
      There are really three types of corn: sweet - (high in sugar and eaten before maturity); field - (has a dent when mature/dried) higher starch and used for animal feed and making commercial products like corn syrup or ethanol; and popcorn - (no dent, smaller kernels than field corn) higher starch that will pop when the moisture expands if heated, we grow a hull-less variety so the shells don't get stuck between your teeth.

      You can eat all three off the cob when immature although field and popcorn are not tasty. But if one is hungry...

      I grind up popcorn for corn meal and flour. Cornbread with consistency of cake then sweetened with honey is a favorite.

      Aronia berries are higher in anti-oxidants than blueberries, are easy to grow and don't taste too bad after cooked or mixed with fruits to sweeten. The wine I made was dry and is getting better with age.

      A very quick overview of a couple of crops we grow. I would love to share but I think shipping would make it expensive and I'm not sure about international laws on sending ag products.

      Delete
  2. Ah, Joel, is ig really labor? I remember days of sitting under the shade trees in the yard podding peas or snapping beans, and the soft voices of my mother and her friend as they did the same, gathering the peas or beans in their aprons. we raised corn and soy beans, but my mother always had a sweet corn patch and a popcorn patch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we were raised the same way, Beverly. We were a large family and had a large garden with a root cellar filled with quart canning jars filled with produce.
      Mid-winter peaches, pears, green beans and we canned our own beef, it sure was worth all the effort we put in.

      Thanks for stopping by, Bev.

      Delete
  3. I can still remember the taste of sweet corn picked fresh from my grandparents' field. Shucked and ate it right there and then. I love your writing especially today's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very grateful for your kind words, Helen and I'm glad it sparked some memories.

      We got a few ears of sweetcorn this year but the raccoons jumped the electric fence and took more than half. They always know when it's ripe. They took all the peaches and plums again as well.

      They never eat something I don't want.

      Delete
  4. This is beautifully written with all the sound effects and colours of country life..Am stuck in the city and now you have made me homesick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope that your homesickness can be cured soon.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a perfect tradition to me. And since I did a good amount of work yesterday, I guess I was celebrating with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored to have been in the same boat as you, Magaly. I hope you accomplished more than I did.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the crops looking good! I hope the harvest lives up to its promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You taught me about a berry I had never heard of. I hope your labor brings you joy.

    ReplyDelete