Sunday, July 18, 2021

Beetle-mania: 2021

This year I’ve enjoyed the mid-July success of: cutting weeds, trimming trees, cutting weeds, the first green bean harvest and… cutting weeds. It’s a never-ending battle of wills against a variety of nutrient sucking noxious weeds.

Another battle that arrives in early to mid-July is the annual invasion of Japanese Beetles. These little green voracious insects emerge from the ground and immediately engage in mating, then eating, and sometimes mating and eating at the same time. With a dozen or more beetles engaged in an orgy on a single apple leaf that they devour, with short pauses to fly to another engagement, I imagine that their overindulgences would impress Caligula of ancient Rome.


Nearly every year these beetles wreak havoc on our corn, apple trees, aronia and blackberries. They strip nearly every leaf of our valued fruit, while completely neglecting the weeds at the farm. I probably wouldn’t mind their presence if they would eat the wild parsnip but they only seem to target what we humans want.

Hungry little buggers

Not using caustic chemicals on our food, I concocted a potion made of lemony fresh dish soap and Thai chili peppers and tested on the aronias that our hungry, sex crazed beetles first attacked. While I found several dead beetles, I cannot attribute it to my formula. It could be they were resting (or dead) from coitus exhaustius. The next day I had even more of an infestation maybe due to this aphrodisiac spray inducing a redhot lemon/chili sex appetite and called all of their friends to join in. At least they were clean for that round of licentious debauchery and gluttony.

He could be resting

After exhaustive research (Google), I tried neem oil and a Spinosad bacterial concentrate that are approved for organic use. I was disappointed in not viewing their immediate death but it proved successful in that I no longer see the thousands of Japanese beetles but now only dozens of still breeding monsters and a second dose was administered.

The Gala apple trees are saved although damaged. The aronia berries, while stunted, should give us our best year of production for our wines.

I’ll raise a glass to their demise.

Cheers!

Posted to Poets and Storytellers United: Writers' Pantry #79: The Latest on the Shortest

20 comments:

  1. So glad you're finally victorious in eradicating those fornicating beetles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just in this battle, Beverly but the war rages on!
      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  2. sounds like you'll have a good harvest... really enjoyed the read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phillip. I hope we do have a bumper crop this year.

      Delete
  3. Cheers. You did it.
    Happy Sunday

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this round, Gillena, thank you. I'm optimistic that we will win.

      Delete
  4. Gives a whole new meaning to 'feeding frenzy'. It was an entertaining read, but obviously a lot of hard work and worry in reality. I'm glad you found a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. These are the strangest bug. I wanted to keep this posting with a PG rating, so no pics.

      Delete
  5. As serious as this is, I had to giggle at "hungry, sex crazed beetles" ~ quite brilliant, the writing and the cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. I've been working on my humor writing (some people don't always get it) and I'm glad you liked this. I thought of adding a pic of the mass of beetles and then blocking their faces out but there were so many that I ran out of black pixels. ;)

      Delete
  6. They are so pretty but soooo destructive. It is kind of scary to see them rising from the ground. They always eat my roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Debi. Try the neem oil and/or Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew. There is an odor for a few days but you may get to enjoy the view of your roses.

      Delete
  7. No wonder that some insects like to bite us when going about the normal life only find that humans don't like them being in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always tried to plant enough so that wildlife can get its "share" but these beetles want to take it all and they are known to kill trees if the damage is great.
      And then there are the ticks perched on tall grass waiting for a mammal to saunter by.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jason. You'll have to visit the farm and we'll share a toast!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh! You are so funny!!! I love your writing.

    I started highlighting the funniest parts, but it was every other line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm trying to make other laugh lately and I'm glad you enjoyed this.

      Delete
  10. This was a very charming description of a very serious problem for agriculture. I'm glad you've won this round of the war. May you continue to enjoy the fruits of victory!

    ReplyDelete