Monday, October 25, 2021

Rainy day thoughts

The weather has turned towards its winter slide here and we won’t see a “warm” day for 5 months or more. “Warm” being a relative term because when you have -20 F, getting back to just above freezing feels warm in January/February.

As it rains today, the internal debate between grasshopper and ant rages. Cloudy/rainy days zap my energy and I sometimes fail in my motto of “get back to work.” When the cold from the north wind slaps me in the face or rain dribbles down the back of the neck, my desire to spend time outdoors evaporates quicker than I’d like to admit.

This is a day for “inside” work. There is some prep work that needs to be done before winter sets in (a win for the ant) or maybe we’ll pop some of the popcorn from this year and settle in for an old movie (a win for the grasshopper.)

At the end of the day, maybe both can take it as a win.

As the leaf hangs on to the tree or clings to the windshield, it reminds me to be resilient against forces that are meant to distract from the goals that are set ahead.

Yes, the irony of being distracted by a leaf on the windshield is not lost on me.

Enjoy the irony in life - it makes it interesting…

Leaf on the Wind(shield) - bonus points if you recognize the reference

 Linked at Poets and Storytellers United: Writers’ Pantry #93: NaNoWriMo Anyone?

10 comments:

  1. What a truthful, gentle, wise depiction of those first crisp autumn days when we know winter is about to begin. I think I am part bear -- I tend to want to hibernate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there is so much to be done before winter sets in!
      When the cold winter sets in, I like to have the dog sleep in my lap and I think they like it even more.
      Thank you, Beverly. Your kind words warmed me up.

      Delete
  2. And here I was complaining about gloomy weather--it's overcast and 69°F--I should be ashamed of myself, lol! I guess cold is relative, and your kind of cold is relatively freezing. I'm glad you find things to do inside, I do the same. That's the beauty of the seasons, I think, we can survive them and even enjoy them, if we adapt. A wise person told me that enjoying irony makes the whole thing interesting, so I will do that too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is interesting if we take the time observe it. Irony is lost on most Americans, but I enjoy it.
      Thanks for stopping by. Magaly. I sent off a new email with the pics - hope you like them

      Delete
  3. You have made our approaching wintry weather a bit more tolerable Joel. The solitary leaf on windshield is a work of art. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird of the things I think of sometimes.
      Thanks for the kind words, Helen

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I hate the cold weather! I grew up in Tasmania, which is on the cool side of temperate, and much as I loved my home State in many ways, I never want to experience its winters again. What you describe is a great deal colder!

    But if anyone in such circumstances can soar, I'm sure it would be you. May you glow like a firefly and achieve well-earned serenity! *Wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too much cold is too uncomfortable for beings. still one has to be bound by duty. Good idea of spending winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chance of seasons are necessary, otherwise my oaks would not grow here. If the winters were shorter, then I'd enjoy it more.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete