Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Tuesday Triumph, she's been a little busy

A friend of our neighbor to the east stopped by after he set up a tree stand near the creek that runs through the neighbor's acreage. We had the usual conversation about weather, harvest yields, etc... I told him of my trail cameras that are set up in the SE corner and of the time of day that it captures the deer on the trails that lead over to the creek.

Big bucks seem to like my place between midnight and 3am which is about the time that the batteries drain on the electric fence (this allowed the deer and raccoons to get into the sweetcorn this past July.)

He replied that he had only had a doe tag.

I asked him to be on the lookout for a three-legged deer. There are plenty of other does he could choose from and no honest hunter would take a shot on a vulnerable doe.

He had already been warned about her. The neighbor had asked the same of him and he told me that they saw a three-legged doe with a fawn on the east side of the creek.

So, when I said Triumph was busy, I guess she was getting busy... 

She crossed the creek to meet some handsome young buck and probably is eating better over there instead of having to cross a creek, trudge up through the brush and then jump an electric fence on my acreage for sweetcorn that the raccoons would have decimated anyway.

This explains why we haven't seen her since April this year. 

Our Triumph doesn't belong to us but as a tough, resilient deer, I guess we can add mother to the list to describe her.

Triumph - April, 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment