Sunday, July 19, 2020

The Subcommittee


Excerpt of a meeting some months back of the Nomination Subcommittee of the Public Relations Committee at The Stranded Tree Farm:

The Representative of Hardwoods cleared his throat, “This last nominee is for a hard maple for a group. Rule 7 does not specifically prevent trees to represent groups but this is our first.”

Fruitbearers Representative said, “Why can’t you plant a tree for each of the members? The membership of the group can change over time. Is that right?”

“There’s no formal membership. It’s more of a community,” I replied. “It was only recently that I added my words.”

“A group that would welcome you as a member… Well, I’d have to wonder about them,” the powerful Nutbearer Representative laughed.

“That’s why I’ve nominated them. They’re inclusive of anyone, regardless of age, experience.  I don’t think they discriminate anyone. Well, almost anyone. There are rules,” I paused, “They welcomed me, yes.”

“Why not plant a tree for each of them?” the Fruitbearer Rep repeated, “You have plenty of trees.”

“I don’t want to single anyone out since there are many good members of the community.”

The Soil and Water Representative was stoic, “I’m not convinced. I think this should be tabled for a while longer. That group may kick you out and then there’s a tree that reminds us of that failure.”

The Hardwoods Rep agreed, “That makes sense. We should give this more time.” The other members of the committee nodded.

I placed an open bag on the table for the committee members. Their tone quickly changed as each looked inside.

“All those in favor of the nomination of the planting of a hard maple tree for Poets and Storytellers United, say aye,” the Hardwoods Rep made the motion.

All members replied, “Aye.”

“Motion carried. Congratulations. Meeting adjourned.”

I think this is how things work in Congress.

Legacy Trees are planted for our friends and are reminders each time we look upon the trees and take note of their growth. In this case, Wee Sprout is growing faster than the other hard maples that we transplanted this year. I’m hoping growth above ground equals to growth below ground.

Cheers to all!

Wee Sprout - July 2020
Edit: I neglected to add a link to the original dedication - Tree of Words where Wee Sprout is introduced to the community,

Posted to Poets and Storytellers United: Writers’ Pantry #29: Never Lose that Sense of Hope

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful beautiful. This is such a thoughtful idea and nature and trees being nature and trees must have welcomed the wee plant, seeing as it is nourished with words and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it grows along with the words of the community. Thank you, Namratha, for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Ah love this, especially the last paragraph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there is hope in each tree we plant and will share the growth of this one from time to time. Thank you, Marja. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Look at our Wee Sprout grow! Those are happy leaves I see. Perhaps, because it knows how much love it’s being sent it’s way.

    I can’t believe the someone with a title as wondrous as Soil and Water Representative could so negative or have such deadened instincts. Anyone who thinks you—and your kind self—could be kicked out of any group is just not very perceptive.

    Oh, and like Marja, I love the closing. 💚🌱💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, these are characters that I have to consider. Ha!
      Thank you for the seedling emoji, Magaly 🌱, very nice.
      Wee Sprout is caged for its protection as well but should outgrow it in a couple of years.

      Delete
  4. Haha...it's a nice idea to plant a tree for our group. Very lovely post I should say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to add a little humor along the way and I'm glad Wee Sprout can bring a smile to those in the community. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I do love maples! Lovely to see this one thriving. I'm sure growth below ground is equal to that above – because that is the nature of our creativity as poets and storytellers, so how could it be otherwise? Many thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. That is an interesting thought and itseems that Wee Sprout is a unique tree.

      Delete
  6. I have a fondness for oak trees. They surrounded the house where I grew up. They heard so much of my fears and woes. I often refer to them in my poems. I love the idea of planting a tree in someone's honor. Truly a blessed memorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie. We have a wide number of oaks that we plant, black, pin, white, red and bur. There is one red oak that is a focus of the acreage.
      Trees are good listeners and I'm glad you had the chance to find comfort in their shade.

      Delete
  7. This is unique, and probably familiar to Congress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. I think Congress runs this way, yes, but the contents of the bag would be certainly different.

      Delete