Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Cabin fever, frustrations galore but the roof is up

We put the insulation and metal up on the roof this weekend right over the top of a couple of purlins that were positioned incorrectly. After a few choice words in self-directed anger, I paused to figure out a solution.

Wasted time and additional money = a frustrating day.

I won't point out where I failed but I did to the clan that were there to help. And a couple other stupid mistakes for that day plus the mower acting up. The best part was cooking hot dogs on the grill at the end of the day Saturday.

But the roof is up and weeds were mowed.


You can see the roof and my idea of having it open for light through UV filtered plastic:


It's meant for light for vision rather than for heat with only a few inches that provides quite a bit of light. The picture doesn't give it justice since I almost blinded myself glancing up.


Next up are windows, the door and the trim and flashing.

4 comments:

  1. That system worked for thousands of chicken houses! I still see one occasionally, but most are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall christen it "The Chicken Roost". We have a small business near here that builds small six or eight foot wide chicken coops that slide off the trailer at the customer's site. Similar roof line as this and they build small rabbit hutches along the same design.

      I should have lowered the roof line a few more inches for more light, but we're adding windows so it will all work out.

      Delete
  2. I'll agree with you only if it doesn't collapse under snow, fall in when I shut the door, or the walls don't fall apart after a 20 mph wind. It's only a good design if it doesn't fail.

    Thanks, David

    ReplyDelete