Thursday, July 30, 2015

Farewell to a friend

A close friend left us this past Monday. The Mrs' faithful companion of the last 12 years has moved on after a tough decision.


Director of Early Warning Services, Buck, at his favorite place: the Mrs' side.

I spent some time over the past couple of days going through some of the trail cameras to find pictures with him. Nearly every one of Buck, he is at her side. There is one where he is at my side, but I had a sandwich in my hand.

It was a rough couple of weeks with a sudden onset of canine diabetes. We didn't see any warning and this is sometimes so. His kidneys were working overtime and we couldn't leave him alone for very long. He had a tough weekend but still had some minutes when he seemed like his old self. That hope was traded for reality when steps became obviously difficult for him.

It was time to let go.

I was able to save him from this decision twice before but not this time and I feel like I failed him. (I know that it makes no sense to think so, but I do.) I think he would have liked another "run" on the acreage this weekend but the heat would have been too much for him. The time wasn't right. It never is.


Buckeye was the best of his litter with the intelligence of the border collie and the love of water from his spaniel side. He had more friends in town than I do. He stood his ground more than once between the Mrs and what he saw as a threat. Raising his hackles while wagging his tail really wasn't the best response, though. He was a rogue, a charmer and a thief of treats from the neighbor's house during visits.  A kind, gentle and friendly soul and a good companion. He was a good dog.


A damn good dog.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
.................................... Anonymous
I hope I can be held worthy of you, old friend.

4 comments:

  1. Is somebody cutting onions in here?
    Sorry for your loss, Joel. Buckeye sounds like quite a dog to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. Our house is empty without him.

      We are working on an idea on how to honor his life and keep his memory. I hope it turns out.

      Delete
  2. It never gets any easier, but sometimes they come back and visit you at night. Susan had to take our old Tigger cat to the vet for the last time today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's not easy for anyone. I kept thinking we could have a few more days, maybe a couple of extra weeks, but that would have been selfish.

      This is the first time in 25 years that I'm not greeted at the door by a wagging tail that is rewarded with a deep scratching behind the ears. It just doesn't feel right.

      Thanks, David

      Delete