Thursday, February 11, 2021

Today's Forecast is...

 

Upon hearing the forecast

We've had snow on the ground since December 12th that is now approaching three feet of accumulation. Well, that has to go somewhere.

We currently have one pile about six feet tall, 12-15 feet wide at the base and forty feet long next to the homestead. With the tractor at the acreage and no snow blower available (they always break down anyway) there is only one method to move and pile up snow.

It's currently in my hand in the picture.

The neighbor and I have been trading labor. He digs me out and I dig him out - whoever gets to the snow first. This hasn't been entirely solo but close.

I don't mind shoveling snow that much. One gets into a rhythm and if you don't try to overexert yourself, you could get a lot of work done in the day and into the night. The frustrating part is when you have to move a pile of snow to make room for the next storm, then move that pile to make room for another storm and so on...

It's about three weeks until the red-winged blackbird shows back up. That is the day I consider it to be spring.

Maybe the snow will be gone by then.

Dust of Snow,  By Robert Frost

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

2 comments:

  1. So ready for Spring .. especially this year! My daughter and husband shoveled my driveway today ~~ lucky me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is going to be a little late this year. When the winds turn (in the next few days) we'll be on track again.

    I'm glad you got some help - we could all use a little this year.

    ReplyDelete