Monday, July 1, 2019

A good day - to cut weeds

As the picture below suggests, even the wildlife seems to be disappointed that the weeds were getting tall.


No rain since Friday afternoon's deluge meant I had a chance to spend Sunday on the tractor:



While in the seat, I usually don't have the radio on and I couldn't hear the phone ring anyway. I spend time listening to the tractor and mower to detect any anomaly. This has served me on a couple of occasions as a change in pitch could mean an issue. I also tend to fall into my thoughts while mowing and on this day, my thoughts were over-thinking the events of the past couple of months. (I still pay attention to what I'm doing.)

I wasn't just an operator on this day, I was an observer and this allowed me to escape my thoughts.

Dozens of swallows dived around me picking off insects escaping the wrath of the mover only to become a meal in mid air. At least 2 different types of swallows flew within inches of my head, redirecting themselves in flight to snatch an easy snack. This gorging took place for at least 3 hours as I mowed the more open acres.

Pheasants, both male and female, flying in front of the tractor to escape. Looking back, chicks ran across the newly mowed row. It would seem they hunkered down while I passed by and took the opportunity to flee.

Several birds (I really need to brush up on ornithology) built their nests this spring. Some weaving several taller weeds together to brace up their creation were seen between the walnut trees. One nest was built on a 3 foot tall thistle and I debated several seconds between the desire to rid this thorny weed and compassion for a mother's brood. The thistle won and stands tall but when the chicks leave the nest, the thistle will be cut before it goes to seed.

I was also interrupted with a set of twins as it seemed that we were chasing each other, up and down the rows of walnut trees. I first saw a pair of ears as they flitted above the orchard grass. It bounded away as I turned east down the row but returned to challenge me as I turned west again. It's sibling ran to hide under a cedar tree until the mother showed up to corral her young. The three of them ran and jumped among the walnuts for at least another 30 minutes until they ran up the dam to mock me in their victorious escape.


Besides the heat and not finishing the southern section, it was a good day to mow.

My thoughts will have to return on some other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment