Monday, May 20, 2019

Weekend damage report

The storms that came through the county on Saturday evening caused some damage. Neighbors to the north lost their roof off of a machine shed as it was peeled off and thrown across the road. Pines splintered as they twisted in the winds. High water nearly reached the county road I use to reach the acreage. That creek was the highest I've seen since getting the place.

I came on Sunday to find this box elder finally topped off. It was a problem as its base was hollowed out and I was nervous to take it down and risk it coming back on me. You can see the rot common with these trees and I have a few others in the fence row to take down.

 
Part of it now is in the neighbor's field and I'll have to clean it up. Luckily none of the branches mashed the fence. A little work with the chainsaw should drop the rest without too much issue.

Looking at the pond, I found this:



It looks like the winds lifted the deck and turned it over like a flipping a pancake, only with 80mph winds. Debris floated throughout the pond which gives me another project to work on.

With it too wet to plant this year's crops I will have plenty of time (unless it rains this coming weekend, of course.)

Luckily, there was no damage to the shed and cabin.

The homestead was another matter. Winds from the north drove into the low pitched roof of the bay window area. The roof had held up well for several years but now it needed some help to keep the next rains out due Monday night. A couple of days work and I hope it's enough.

Deep breath --- and get back to work.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the rain holds out so you can get your work done and your crops planted. The damage sounds frustrating, but I'm glad to hear the shed and cabin made it unscathed.

    ReplyDelete