Monday, December 15, 2014

White pine update

Deer are especially attracted to white pine. The fragrance is compelling to them during the rut.





Despite our efforts, an aggressive male will mash the cage and tear things up. This was the worst of the pines they got into. After a rough winter last year, I didn't think the 5 ft. pines we planted in the spring of 2013 would have made it. Their growth surprised me and they looked good but the deer nailed two plus several that were planted years ago.

We recruited a few hunters to try to thin the herd and I'm placing a bounty on every one they bring in. In the mean time, I made repairs and reinforced the cages.

2 comments:

  1. They do that to us, too, but I still enjoy watching them. My hunters came up empty handed again the first two firearm seasons, but at least they keep the riff-raff out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours didn't get their deer this year either (so far). If only my mountain lion would return...

    ReplyDelete