Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wednesday wildlife, is this the big cat we've been looking for?

What do you think?


This was taken from our trail camera pointed towards the berries. At the moment between light and dark, I've found that this camera will sometimes create these odd, grainy digital recreations. Neither a daytime picture, nor is it a nighttime IR picture.

Our neighbor's son reported a sighting of a mountain lion to the south of us and with the quality of a Bigfoot sighting, this may be a visual recording of that cat. Let me know if you think I'm full of it, but I'm leaning towards it is a mountain lion.

It's not one of the neighbor's dogs, it's not a deer and it's a whole lot bigger than this guy:



Both predators are welcome if they take out the rodents, rabbits or raccoons. At least until the big cat takes a swipe at me. This little black cat has been a frequent visitor and I'm sure it's gotten its fill of mice.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like a cougar to me. They have been confirmed in Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin and Illinois. I have seen tracks in So Illinois, so I always have my eyes alert for them when I am away from my truck. Always carry a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've shown this pic to several people and they agree. I'm hoping to get a clear definitive picture and will post it right away. Just west of us, a young male was shot by a deer hunter about 5 years ago.

    With tall weeds, corn or up in a tree, I could be just a few feet from this guy and never know it. I don't think I look like a tasty snack, but you never know.

    Yes, I take more than one stick with me but I need a better rig when I'm on the tractor. I don't want to hunt for him and will let him be if he behaves because I need all the help I can get to keep the deer population down.

    ReplyDelete