Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Goodbye 2022

The picture below serves as a metaphor of 2022 at the farm: not everything went as planned.

Sure, we expanded our popcorn planting but late in the ground because of a wet spring. A dry Summer hampered the yields and late rains ruined a third of the harvest.

We fell well short of our tree planting because of a meager acorn harvest of the fall of 2021 and this past fall was even worse.

While we had our best year at the local farmer's market, I'm reminded of one potential customer's opinion of my "overpriced" potatoes. "I'll take them all. How much?"
she said. I told her to which she replied, "That's too much." My prices were less than the guy 6 tables to the north.

It reminded me of a Monte Python sketch.

Back to the tree:
During my end-of-year cleanup of trash trees like boxelder and dead elm trees, this 8" mulberry unexpectedly twisted on me, turned 60 degrees to the right and landed square on this post.
(No one was hurt, including the post)

Just as in this last tree cut in 2022, not everything went as planned. Is there a lesson to be learned? Will 2023 be better? Will the questions of the universe be answered? 


¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We'll just plug away the best we can, feed some of our neighbors, and plant a few more trees.

Cheers!


 

2 comments:

  1. Cheer's, Joel! And a happy new year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. I hope your 2023 is your best year (not that I wish 2024 or any subsequent years are worse)

      Delete