Thursday, July 28, 2022

Caterpillar friend

It is the mid-summer weed cutting session. The never-ending effort to rid the acreage of noxious weeds such as the wild parsnip and other common weeds like lamb's quarter, horseweed, and thistles. We work to save as much of the milkweed as possible for any visiting monarchs, although it is nearly unavoidable when mowing on the tractor.

I have to cut the weeds on the slope of the pond dam with a weed cutter, one made by Stihl. I've used hand sickles in the past but operating something with a motor is much more productive and causes much less blisters.

On this day, while cutting the tall grasses near the pond, I found a bright green caterpillar with black and yellow spots arranged in rows. I placed it on a milkweed for safekeeping and looked up what it was. It appears to be a black swallowtail. 

Generally, caterpillars can cause a lot of damage to crops (if they would just eat the weeds and keep our beans alone, I would be happy). This one does eat mostly weeds.

I'll keep it around.

The next time I see it, I hope it has wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment