Thursday, November 4, 2021

Out of Character

(Know your audience. Make it interesting and fun. – Advice from people who give speeches.)

What if your audience is pre-K to 7-year-olds along with mothers holding toddlers in their arms?

Our local library has story-time each week for a group of kids and their parents. The regulars are home-schooling families and I was asked to give a talk about things I grow on the farm, mainly popcorn.

“I’m a little out of character with kids.” I admitted to the mothers. A rule in giving speeches is to show confidence but I was going to set that expectation bar low.

Kids filed into the room dressed in Halloween costumes of yellow and green monsters, a purple dragon, a Pikachu, and the little 3-year-old girl as a bumble bee. Bumble Bee looked to me offering a big innocent grin that would melt a hardened steel heart.

“Who likes popcorn?” – Cheers!

“A kernel is planted into the ground, grows into a stalk, then produces ears of corn like these.” I showed several ears of Ladyfinger popcorn.

Pikachu pointed out the difference compared to field corn.

This was going to be a tough crowd,” I’m thinking in Rodney Dangerfield voice.

To make this educational, I brought another variety of popcorn and remarked how corn was different just like how kids have different hair, eyes, etc.

“Sometimes nature produces something unexpected like this…” I showed an ear that split into two. – Laughter! It has legs!

I handed out popcorn ears so they could try shelling it from the cob. This delighted the boys as kernels shot across the room. – Chaos!

I’m losing my audience?” --- “Not yet!”

Pikachu explained that water inside of the kernel expands and that’s how it pops.

Hey, this is my show, kid!” I thought in Bob Hope’s voice.

I popped some corn which was devoured by the group, especially Purple Dragon and Bumble Bee.

Questions from mothers and kids were answered and I gave out bags of popcorn to enjoy at home.

One mother asked if I wanted something for payment.

“Smiles from little bumble bees was enough,” I heard my voice say.

“I actually said that?”

“Yep. A little out of character, indeed...”

 

 Linked to Poets and Storytellers United: Friday Writings #1: I Write with My Food

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like you were a big hit. (With a little help from Pikachu, lol, but it'll be you they remember.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary. I was a minor character in the menagerie.

      Delete
  2. Corn is such a marvelous crop and popcorn is especially wonderful because it is one of the very few things that is appetizing and fills you up and has very few calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use popcorn as popcorn and also grind it into corn meal. Cornbread with honey is pretty tasty.
      Thank you for stopping by Graham

      Delete
  3. This is hysterical ... those kids had you over the proverbial barrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. These kids are kind of fun, especially the two sisters: Purple Dragon and Bumble Bee

      Delete
  4. This sounds like such a blast, Joel. I bet those children will always remember the day they learned how popcorn was grown. Some lessons just stay with you, especially when the one giving them makes the learning fun and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The librarian and I talked about a return in the spring to plant seeds so that when they come in the next week, they would see the roots grow.
      I guess one could say I was booked for a return engagement. ;)
      Thanks, Magaly

      Delete
  5. Sounds as if you learned as much as your audience!! My mother grew several types of popcorn and added their various colors to her fall displays. Our Sunday evening treat all through winter months was a huge pan of popcorn and sliced, crisp apples. I enjoyed your writing, Joel. Wish I'd been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shared good memories, Beverly.
      I crossbred a multi-colored corn with the ladyfinger type and now have small multi-colored kernels.
      I don't consider myself as a proper presenter and there is no video evidence (whew)

      Delete
  6. How fun! Libraries offer so much more than when I was little. Then it was only quiet story time, quiet whispers only. My adult children went to loads of noisy messy programs! No popcorn though, that would have been fun. They were home schooled too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa.
      We didn't have a library in my small community growing up and it wasn't until I got to high school before I really accessed on semi-regularly.

      These home-schooled kids are bright and ahead in several ways. I bet your children are as well

      Delete
  7. This is so cute. I love this story—and you for volunteering! Hands-on is definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like it went great! sounds like they were engaged and entertained, they interacted with you and learned... you're a natural! just be yourself and don't worry about confidence, they will see and feel your honesty and reciprocate. really enjoyed your story joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phillip.
      I tried to make the story as entertaining as the experience was with the kids

      Delete
  9. wish i could be in the audience listening to your lecture. bet it's educational as well as entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so enjoyable to read. I especially like how you described the kids in their Halloween costumes and then called them Bumble Bee / Pikachu / Purple Dragon. :) That was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna. I thought portraying them in their costumes added a visual for the reader. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you read the crowd of little ones and older ones perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crowd played me like a fiddle, most likely.
      Thank you for your kind words, Lori

      Delete
  12. Hey, you've linked to this one again. Did you mean to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't Rosemary. I blame my computer but reality being what it is... my mistake - sorry

      Delete