Thursday, October 10, 2019

Morning Lament

This morning brought rain (again) as storm clouds stretched from west to east. But the sun breached the gap between earth's horizon and darkened rain-swelled clouds illuminating the valley in golden light.


The light of the eastern sun reflected orange to pink sky and from pink to grey in the clouds, continuing on darker across the sky until almost black in the west.

It was a colorful morning. But the color did not last long as the sun began to slip behind the clouds. A hard rain obscured its final minutes as the clouds finally covered its light. The rain fell harder as the rays were extinguished and muted for the day.

As the light faded I filled with regret as I reminded myself of missed sunrises and sunsets, of missed opportunities in nature or in our lives. But I realized that I nearly missed the moment of today's sunrise. I was filling my head with thoughts of the past and not of the present.

Luckily, I kicked myself in my mind and started to appreciate where I was. Ignoring the rain, I watched as the last sunbeams faded from sight behind the clouds and hoped for more sunrises to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment