Monday, January 19, 2015

What's the temperature outside?

Since February last year, I've been taking temperature readings at the pond using a EasyLog data logger:


With a very simple program, I set it to take a reading every 15 minutes and it can collect upwards of a year although I download to my tablet about every three months. At this point, I have it inside the shed instead of a proper ventilated box like the weather service recommends. It may not be accurate to .00001% but this gives me a good idea of the temperature and now I have a historical record.

Here's the last quarter of 2014:



With the downloaded text file, the EasyLog software can be used to view the graph or the file can be opened with Excel and can be imported into a database. Hovering over the graph with the mouse and you can get the detail of the reading, such as 1 degree on the morning of 12/31.

This is one part of the plan for record keeping for the tree farm. The last piece missing is an accurate account of rainfall instead of relying on the weather service's radar measurements (which isn't even close.)

No comments:

Post a Comment